Have you ever wanted to start a blog???? Did you know that you can actually make a blog your side hustle or even full time career???? Do you find it intimidating to start a blog as a newbie?. Worry not because in this beginners guide to starting a blog, I am going to show you how to have your blog up and running in less than 30 minutes.
NOTE: You might also want to pin this post on Pinterest for future reference.
Topics I Will Cover
- let’s choose a niche
- Picking a domain name
- Setting up web hosting
- Designing your blog
- How to make money blogging
WHY START A BLOG???
A blog can be a great way to feul your passion to write and share. Most people also blog out of hobby. However, a blog is a great way to earn some income on the side. There are numerous ways to monetize a blog and create a revenue stream for yourself.
DECIDING ON A BLOGGING NICHE
While you can blog about just almost anything, if you plan to monetize your blog it’s important to niche down. Pick a niche – parenting, blogging, travel, fashion, lifestyle etc. Now break it into smaller subtopics. Spend a few minutes to analyse which topic are you good at. You can write about 3-4 subtopics on your blog. So for instance you can write about parenting and work from home, or you could be writing about 3-4 subtopics that come under travel.
CHOOSE A DOMAIN NAME
Now that you know what you are going to write about, choose a relevant domain name. Make your domain name easy, catchy and relevant to your Niche. I bought my domain name and hosting from namecheap and I highly recommend it for its 24/7 live support and easy to use interface.
TIME TO GET YOUR BLOG HOSTED
You need a self hosted blog to be able to earn money from your blog. So how do you get your website hosted? First of all you need a web hosting company. The Web hosting company I use and recommend is Namecheap for the following reasons They have the cheapest web hosting plans available which is great if you don’t wa t to start off with too much investment. They provide reliable service. They provide you with a domain based email address. They have an amazing live customer support and I got a lot of my issues resolved instantly through their wonderful customer support.
Here’s how to set up web hosting with Namecheap ;To get you started with setting up Web hosting with namecheap click here. Namecheap offers five hosting plans and their stellar shared hosting plan starts with at $1.44 per month and is ideal for beginners.You can choose your hosting plan here and here .
Now you are all set to start your blog!!!. Follow the instructions you receive by namecheap and install WordPress from your cpanel. WordPress is pretty basic to get started with and a dashboard manages everything from your pages to your blog posts.
LET’S GET DESIGNING
Once you log in to your WordPress dashboard you will be prompted to choose a theme for your blog. You can choose default, free themes but I recommend premium themes. Why??? Because they provide your website with a professional outlook, you receive helpful customer support and customization options. If you like bright, feminine themes with clean layout and amazing features, then I recommend beautiful Dawn design themes. One of their best selling themes is the Enamored theme . Its beautiful, elegant, easy to set up and highly responsive. Once decided and purchased, it’s time to install your theme . To install your theme, go to Appearance > Themes in the lefthand menu of the WordPress dashboard. Now upload your theme file and click “Activate.”
Get writing!!! Before you actually start marketing your blog you need to have some content up there. I suggest writing at leat ten blog posts to create a solid foundation for your audience.
Once you have put up some good content up on the blog and build a decent audience, it’s time to get monetizing. There are 4 ways you can make money as a blogger.
- Advertising: one of the easiest way to monetize your new blog is by placing ads. I recommend Google adsense for new bloggers as it doesn’t require you to have a specific amount of traffic and the pay is good too.
- Sell Digital products: this is such a great way to generate some good amount of side income. You can sell ebooks, printable arts, courses, guides and so much more on your blog.
- Sponsored posts: you can reach out to brands in your Niche and work with them to create sponsored blog posts. They give you a product and you review it on your blog and turn your audience into potential buyers for the brand in return for some commission.
- Affiliate marketing: basically you promote a product on your blog and earn a commission every time someone makes a purchase through your link. If you are stuck trying to figure out where to find affiliate programs for your Niche? This ebook , will provide you with over 300 handpicked affiliate programs for the most popular blogging niches.
LET’S RECAP – START A BLOG IN LESS 30 MINUTES
- Decide on a niche for your blog
- Choose a domain name
- Register your domain and get hosting for $1.44 a month with Namecheap
- Pick a theme for your blog (beautiful Dawn design has the perfect theme for whatever your Niche maybe )
- Write 5 to 10 blog posts and launch!